Toenails, not the nicest topic to discuss but they are oh so important when it comes to looking after your foot health. Did you know that your nails are susceptible to fungal infections? Fungal spores can enter the nail causing them to become discoloured, thickened and brittle. Here’s a few tips to minimise the risk of this happening.
- Wash and dry your feet thoroughly after showers and swims (especially as we’re coming into summer)
- Wear thongs or sandals in public showers and pool areas
- Dry your socks in sunlight (UV is a natural fungus killer!)
- Consider adding tea tree oil to your moisturiser, in your next load of washing, or even using a diluted spray on your feet to help reduce your risk of a fungal infection
- Go barefoot in public showers or pool areas
- Wear the same socks two days in a row
- Share shoes
If you’re concerned about a fungal nail infection, or your nails in general call our clinic on (07) 3823 5423 to book an appointment.