Skip to content
8 Neat Facts About Feet
- 1. Women have about 4 times as many foot problems as men.
- 2. Your feet mirror your health: arthritis, diabetes, nerve disorders and circulation issues often show initial symptoms in the feet.
- 3. Your feet have 52 bones which make up about one-quarter of the bones in your body. Each foot has 26 bones, 33 joints, over 100 tendons, muscles and ligaments.
- 4. The average person will walk 115,000 miles over their lifetime.
- 5. Fingernails and toenails grow faster in hot weather.
- 6. There are almost 8,000 nerves in the feet and many nerve endings in the skin which make feet one of the most ticklish part of the body. Reduced sensitivity can be a sign of neuropathy – so it’s good to be aware if you have conditions such as diabetes.
- 7. Your feet swell betwen 5% – 8% throughout the course of the day – so it’s a good idea to shop for shoes in the afternoon!
- 8. It’s estimated that 75% of people will experience foot issues at some point in their lives.